My farm content deployment jobs had been working, but all of a sudden stopped one day. The end fix was to edit a Central Admin web.config file upload size on the target WFE servers.
I was seeing the following errors in my ULS logs after 23 minutes of packing up just under 1gb of content from QA to PRD:
- ContentDeploymentJob.ExecuteJob(): Failed ExecuteJob() with JobInfo: Name: ‘QA to Prod Job’, Id:’5db43c5d-1c3b-41cd-ac0a-495a48acb175′, JobType:’ServerToServer’, Description:”. Exception: ‘System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
- Failed to transfer files to destination server for Content Deployment job ‘QA to Prod Job’. Exception was: ‘System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
In central admin, I was receiving this error after 23 minutes of running the job:
- Content deployment job ‘QA to Prod Job’ failed.The remote upload Web request failed.
Thanks to this article, I figured out the issue was the max upload size of the Central Admin web config on the target server WFE’s: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/1d4aca49-40c1-414e-980e-150b148caf10/content-deployment-problems?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious
This is what finally worked for me, On the target WFE(s) modified web.config same as above:
On target WFE(s), Edit the web.config file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\ADMIN\Content Deployment
<httpRuntime maxRequestLength=”307200” />
<requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength=”314572800” />
old values (for backup purposes)
<httpRuntime maxRequestLength=”102400″ />
<requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength=”104857600″ />
- On target WFE(s), perform an IISreset
- Launch the CDP job again and it should run.