Posted by: Eric Schrader | August 5, 2013

SharePoint 2013 error A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (%) on intranet/mysites access requests from email link

I had a link in my email inbox for “User wants access to ‘Intranet'” sent from the user to myself. I am the Intranet site Owner and recieve access requests.

There is a link to “Accept or Decline this request”

If I click accept from the email Link, I get a SharePoint error:

Sorry, something went wrong
An unexpected error has occurred.

Correlation ID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Date and Time: 8/5/2013 3:19:39 PM


Go back to site

I took a look in the ULS logs and found this error when I requested the page:

08/05/2013 14:56:19.09 w3wp.exe (0x2BCC) 0x26C4 SharePoint Foundation Runtime tkau Unexpected System.Web.HttpException: A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (%).    at System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateInputIfRequiredByConfig()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ValidateHelper(HttpContext context)

08/05/2013 14:56:19.09 w3wp.exe (0x2BCC) 0x26C4 SharePoint Foundation General ajlz0 High Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (%).     at System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateInputIfRequiredByConfig()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ValidateHelper(HttpContext context)

08/05/2013 14:56:19.09 w3wp.exe (0x2BCC) 0x26C4 SharePoint Foundation General aat87 Monitorable

08/05/2013 14:56:19.10 w3wp.exe (0x2BCC) 0x26C4 SharePoint Foundation General ajb4s Monitorable ViewStateLog: Failed to write to the velocity cache: https://intranet/Access Requests/pendingreq.aspx

The URL from the email is: https://intranet/sites/BI/Access%2520Requests/pendingreq.aspx

The link was %2025, as soon as I went to Site Settings > Access requests and invitations, The page loaded and the URL was https://intranet/sites/BI/Access%20Requests/pendingreq.aspx#InplviewHash45f07088-94ce-4184-8700-e90e139485fb=#InplviewHashb2af6c82-aa6b-402e-97f7-b7503c93b415=

Note how the URL is %20, not %2520. This was the cause of the error.

Environment: Windows Server 2012 with SharePoint 2013 March 2013 Public Update.

For now, use the UI or manually change the link. I am reporting this issue to Microsoft and will update this if I find anything out.

About these ads

Responses

  1. Hi eric,

    Is there any reply to this issue?

  2. Hi Eric,

    Is there any reply to this issue from Microsoft or you did find any solution for this? Me too facing the same problem.

  3. Never heard back from Microsoft on this issue. I posted it on Yammer on August 5th in the “SharePoint Technical” group.

  4. Did you find a solution?

    • nope, I never heard back from Microsoft on this and have not had an issue for a while. The error had something to do with my cell phone and %20 not being recognized as a space in the URL. If you have Technical Advisory hours, you can open a case with Microsoft. I have opened a few this year already, some of which couldn’t be resolved or verified.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 114 other followers

%d bloggers like this: